During UN Global Road Safety week, we were delighted to participate at Autonomy Digital 2.0, the world’s largest platform for sustainable mobility solutions held online over the 19 – 20 May 2021.
On Wednesday 19 May, iRAP’s Star Rating for Schools Global Programme Coordinator Rafaela Machado facilitated an Industry Talk on ‘Young Female Leadership on Sustainable Mobility – Saving Lives through Local and Global Action’. This session was co-hosted by Star Rating for Schools Lead Partner YOURS (Youth for Road Safety) and featured some speakers from the Global Youth Coalition for Road Safety.
Session description: Road traffic injury is now the leading cause of death for children and youth aged 5–29, killing 500 children each day. Youth are the main victim, but are not seen as part of the solution. Youth are powerful catalysts for change, engaging communities and leading impactful actions. The panel, led by young female leaders who promote change to save lives on the world’s roads, demonstrated how stakeholders can work with youth to create sustainable systems that put the most vulnerable ones at the centre.
- Rafaela Machado – Star Rating for Schools Global Programme Coordinator (Facilitating)
- Estiara Eliazar – Transport Planner, Ministry of Transportation of Indonesia and Member of YOURS
- Laura Daniela Gómez – Project Coordinator at Despacio
- Minh Vo – Junior Monitoring & Evaluation Coordinator, AIP Foundation, Star Rating for Schools Trainer and Member of YOURS
- Dilys Mneney – Project Officer, iRAP.
At the end of the session, the panelists were asked ‘What is the main actin to be taken to ensure road safety and sustainable mobility in the community?’ The answers provided were:
- Stronger data gathering efforts
- Government and community engagement
- More participation spaces
- The ‘top-down’ approach.